Saturday, October 17, 2009

I'm Still Alive, I Swear

Since we last spoke, I managed to cook and eat an octopus. Granted, this was with the help of Cara, but still, I butchered that sucker. Here's the short list of things I learned whilst embarking on this adventure.

1. Even when the octopus is dead, its suckers still have some kick to them. Not enough to be dangerous, but enough to be really really creepy.
2. When boiling your octopus, do not be surprised if it turns itself over in the water. Again with the creep factor.
3. When mincing your octopus, it can be messier than it first looks. Be aware, or you too will get octo-juice on your shirt.
4. The smell of an octopus cooking makes the meat completely unappetizing. Just FYI.

After the Great Octopus Adventure of 2009, the ever exciting ACCENT group spent the weekend in Roma. Let's just say that our ACCENT tour guide, Freya, is the greatest things that's ever happened to the art of being a tour guide. Anyone who tells stories about Pope Paul III by calling him "the pope with the cute sister" deserves an award of some kind. We were in town for just over 48 hours and we managed to go to...

The Borghese Villa Museum
Campo di Fiore
Castel Sant'Angelo
Trevi Fountain
St Peter's
The Vatican Museum and Apartments
The Sistene Chapel
The Colosseum
The Forum

... just to name a few. Let's just say that sleep was not on the list of priorities, especially on mattresses that were rocks. No, seriously. I'm not a picky sleeper and I was uncomfortable. However, we had the luxury of being able to take a stress-free shower for the first time in about a month. Ahhhh... glorious.

In Rome, I bought the most expensive non-formal dress I have ever bought. But it is gorgeous. Totally worth it.

THEN, most exciting, my parents came to Florence for a few days. :) :) :) :) Fantastic. We went bumming around the city, eating good food, seeing churches, being together again. It was wonderful to be with them, but it really made me miss my brother :( Ah well.

Next week is midterms, so right now is studying and finalizing my plans for FALL BREAK!

No comments: